Blurb Verse

"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."
Romans 5:3-5
Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, April 9, 2012

Suffering well: worth its weight in gold!

Is it possible for us to praise God while we are suffering? Absolutely!! 

Since I began to be ill, I've been on the hunt for any good resources to help as I thought about & lived through my chronic pain struggles. I haven't found any as good as this one! 


John Piper & all the other contributors bring a fresh understanding to the purpose and presence of suffering, both from a theological, Biblical perspective as well as a practical, well-suffered perspective. I found this to be a good mix of head & heart. Definitely well worth a read if you are suffering yourself. There is no necessity to read this book chronologically so if you are currently struggling with cognitive difficulties, I'd recommend you start with chapters 7 through to 9. These are personal accounts from people who've suffered a fair bit in their lives. As I read it, I found myself constantly saying, "Yes, yes, that's me. That's exactly what I've been thinking or feeling." 

Even if you aren't suffering at this current moment, this book is well worth a read in preparation for the suffering that is inevitable for all humans this side of heaven & also as a useful glimpse into what those who are suffering around you might be feeling / thinking. 

Praise God that even as we suffer, we do not suffer alone & that we can benefit from the wisdom, prayers and struggles of those who have suffered before us & that we, ourselves, can then share this comfort we have received with those who will suffer after us. 

For a free copy or a chance to glance through some of the book, refer to the Desiring God website

No comments:

Post a Comment